You would never know it by looking at it, but this putter is actually quite historical. It was made using nothing but machines by the first company to make clubs entirely by machines—The Scottish Golf Club Manufacturing Company. Registered in 1894 as a joint stock company, the SGCMCo used only machinery to create their clubs. According to the November, 3, 1894 issue of The Golfer, the only hand work was in the "tapering of the shaft to bring out the correct balances and spring of each club."
During the 1890s, many golfers felt that a machine made club lacked the quality and feel inherent in handmade clubs. Others believed that the precision offered by machinery could not be duplicated by hand nor could any difference be noted in the finished produced except for the price—machine made clubs were less expensive.
The traditionalist golfers apparently ruled the day as the the SGCMCo went out of business at the end of 1898 despite producing excellent clubs, as can be seen here complete with its original danga wood shaft and sheepskin grip, at great prices. This highly attractive club shows little use.
TCA2 v1 p245-246