This handsome hand forged driving iron is stamped with Spalding's "The Spalding" mark in use between 1897 and 1900. The club has its original sheepskin grip and hickory shaft, which is also stamped "The Spalding". Fry did not keep records on the few woods and irons in his collection, only his putters. Nevertheless, this club is from Fry's collection, where it has long resided. For more on Fred X. Fry, Click Here
The back of this head bears an "L" which would normally indicate that the club was made for a lady. Measuring 39-inches in length, however, this driving iron could have easily been used by a man.
Overall, this is a prime example of a driving iron produced nearly 120+ years ago by one of the first companies to make golf clubs in America.