This putter was made by MacGregor, and was likely built sometime during the 1920s judging from the markings made on the head and hosel and the material from which the club is made. According to the label Fred X Fry put on this putter, it was given to him by Leon Nelson on November 20, 1958. Someone at MacGregor made this putter long before 1958, but Nelson gave it to Fry for his collection.
It is easy to see why the putter would not be a success. It's beautiful, but its light. Such failed past efforts, however, make for great collectibles today. This one is highly attractive and is likely a true one-of-a-kind.
This putter is from the Fred X Fry Collection, and bears his
inventory label on its shaft. Fry, the dean of American golf club
collectors, was busy building his
collection forty years before the Golf Collectors Society (now The Golf
Heritage Society) was formed in 1970. Collecting with
great passion, Fry amassed around 450 clubs, mostly putters. He
cataloged, displayed, and cherished his treasures. A number of national
magazines ran articles about his collection of putters between 1936 and
1963. For more on Fry, and to view some of the articles, Click Here.