Stamped on the crown "Pat Apld For, Kismet Putter" and on the sole "Elephant Brand, Phosphor Bronze, Reg US Pat Office," this c. 1920s putter is designed for both left and right hand use. The head has a few small scuffs that has removed a bit of the old patina, but the club still looks good overall and is all original, with its original shaft and grip.
This putter is from the Fred X. Fry Collection, and bears his
inventory label on its shaft. Fry, the dean of American golf club
collectors, was busy building his
collection forty years before the Golf Collectors Society (now The Golf
Heritage Society) was formed in 1970. Collecting with
great passion, Fry amassed around 450 clubs, mostly putters. He
cataloged, displayed, and cherished his treasures. A number of national
magazines ran articles about his collection of putters between 1936 and
1963. For more on Fry, and to view some of the articles, Click Here.