Bussey and Joseh Pinder, both from London, received a British patent
(No., 16,593) dated Oct. 23, 1890, that covered this rut niblick head with its hosel and blade made from two separate pieces of steel. This same patent, the seventh
ever granted for a golf club, also covers the sewn grip on this club.
According to Bussey and Pinder's patent, the hosel is made as a
hollow tube. An approximately 3/8" high extension (boss) atop a very
short "neck portion" of the blade fits inside the lower end of the
hosel. Once joined, the head and hosel are brazed toether. The shaft is
then placed into the regular hollow portion of the hosel where it is
"secured therein by means of cement, glue, or other otherwise."
The seam is beautifully brazed together and is hard to see. One of the images in the group that accompanies this club is a closeup that clearly show this seam.
The sewn grip, as shown in two of the accompanying images, consists of a rectangular piece
of leather sewn lengthwise into position on the shaft. This took some
engineering or sorts to accomplish, but it made for a long lasting grip
that would not come loose and unwind as could happen with a wound grip.
The Bussey name stamped on the grip is still clear and readable.
The writing on the back of the head, "Bussey
& Co, London, GGB, Patent Steel Socket," is all there and can be seen in one of the close-up images. This head is in great condition. Of the tens of
thousands of golf club patents in existence today, this iron was
produced under the 7th golf club patent ever issued—which makes this
club one of the first clubs ever produced under a patent in the history
of the game. Now that is great history, not just great creativity!