In 1915, Albert McDougal applied for a US patent to covered this
putter in part. According to his patent, issued in 1919, McDougal's club
was designed to help the golfer line up to the hole by including a
"true line parallel to the face of the club head intersecting a line
parallel to the hole." These lines are formed from hard rubber strips
that are inset into the top of the head.
By 1926, McDougal had brought out this club: his New Improved McDougal Putter
with an adjustable weight feature. The two cavities
on the top of the head hold lead weights that fit around a post located
in the center of each cavity. To keep the weights from moving, a spring
is placed between the weights and the black, hard rubber pieces that
screw into the top of each post and cover the cavities. All of these
components are shown in one of the images that accompany this lot. The two hard rubber pieces have been unscrewed and removes to show the lead weights and springs in position in the cavity.
There are two original weights, one in each cavity. Additional
weights would be easy to make, if desired, simply by cutting new weights
to size from appropriately thick sheet of lead. The shaft and leather-wrap
grip are original. Overall, this is a wonderful, ingenious club, with
heel and toe adjustable weighting well ahead of its time.
TCA2 V2 p484