Francis & Archibald Carrick were first listed as "edge tool manufactures" in the Musselburgh Directory for 1848-1849. Sometime in the late 1850s or 1860s, following the deaths of Francis and Archibald, Alex and Archibald Jr. took over the business and continued to operate as F&A CArrick. For the Carricks, forging irons was more a sideline to their primary business of making tools. The were one of the first cleekmakers to mark their irons.
This particular cleek dates to 1875. It is marked with the "Carrick" straight line stamp and "X" cleekmark. The head has a 4 3/4" long hosel. The blade is sleek and slender, with the topline nearly parallel to the leading edge as is the proper design of an early cleek. The 38" shaft is a replacement with an oversize sueded leather grip to matches up well to the club. If you are looking for a beautiful cleek, pounded out and into shape entirely by hand, look no further.
This club is the bottom club in the group image that accompanies this lot. For more information on Carrick clubs, see TCA2 v1 p125, 135-136, 139.