This is solid and attractive c. 1870 McEwan putter. The
slender head and its shallow face are stylish and
pleasing to the eye. The head measures 5 3/8” in length, 1 3/32” in face
depth, and 2” in width. The McEwan stamp is clear and strong. The
large original lead backweight and two lead buttons located on the sole provides good heft to the club. Two screws were used to help affix the original lead to the head, one screw is located towards the toe of the club and the other towards the heel. The face still displays the beauty of its original graceful heel-to-toe curve. The 36 3/4" long shaft and leather grip appear to be
original, while the whipping has been replaced.
"As Hugh Philp was to St. Andrews, so was the firm of McEwan & Son to Edinburgh and Musselburgh." (Golf
25, Sept. 1895, p51). indeed, the McEwan family of clubmakers were
central to the world of clubmaking from 1770, when James McEwan opened
for business, to the end of the nineteenth century, when long nose clubs
were rendered obsolete. Across that 120 year span, five generations of
the McEwan family were producing long nose clubs of the highest quality.
TCA2 V1 p43-48
This putter is third from the left in the group shot.