This circa 1890 Tom Morris putter was made at the end of the long nose era, but it recaptures the look of earlier putters. The head measures 5 3/8" long and 1 3/4" wide, which is a good length and width found on earlier clubs, but the the face is only 15/16 inches deep. Such a shallow face harkens back to the mid 19th century.
The original shaft is 36 1/2" long, and the sueded leather grip is a replacement that matches up well to the club. The Tom Morris stamp on the top of the head remains strong. The "T Morris St. Andrews, NB" stamp on the shaft is quite faint, but portions remain readable upon close inspection. The finish is original as is the neck whipping. This club is definitely one of the better, more shapely examples from the end of the long nose era.