This Gassiat-style putter is marked "Ernest T. Hales Special" across the top of the head and on the shaft. It has four large lead weights directly behind a thick brass plate on the
sole. The plate is held in place by eight screws and provides
protection to the leading edge of the putter.
These big block-head putters made famous by Jean Gassiat were
introduced around 1913 and made at various times by various makers during the
ensuring years. They are often called grand piano putters because they
are big & heavy (for a golf club), made out of wood, and their
rectangular shape is reminiscent of many 19th-century pianos there were
also rectangular in shape.
The club has its original 35" shaft which transitions from round to square half-way up in order to form a square grip. The leather wrap grip is also original.
Condition is as shown in photos.
See also TCA2 v2 p537