This is nice c. 1885 McEwan putter. The finish is original and the club still sturdy. The head measures 5 1/4" in length, 1 1/8” in face
depth, and 1 7/8” in width. The McEwan stamp is clear and strong as is the owner's name of "R. Keene." The
large lead backweight provides good heft to the club. There is a chip in the toe along the topline and a sliver chip in the underside of the horn at the toe. The bottom of the horn, however, is solid with no chipping.
"As Hugh Philp was to St. Andrews, so was the firm of McEwan & Son to Edinburgh and Musselburgh." (Golf
25, Sept. 1895, p51). indeed, the McEwan family of clubmakers were
central to the world of clubmaking from 1770, when James McEwan opened
for business, to the end of the nineteenth century, when long nose clubs
were rendered obsolete. Across that 120 year span, five generations of
the McEwan family were producing long nose clubs of the highest quality.
TCA2 V1 p43-48
The shaft and neck whipping appear to be
hickory shaft measures 36 1/8" in length and has been regripped with sheepskin.
Condition as shown in images.