The single William Atkinson paper tees in this lot has some serious history. William Atkinson began producing these paper tees
in the early 1890s as one of the
earliest alternatives to sand tees. This tee is marked "Wm Atkinson," the name of his firm in the 1890s, and "Kendal
& Lancaster," the two locations he ran in the 1890s.
The Aug 11, 1893 issue of Golf
includes a report on these paper tees: "Atkinson's Paper Golf Tee. It
is not easy, in these days of inattentive, uninstructed caddies, to get a
satisfactory tee of sand made.... Several expedients have been devised
as a substitute for the piles of sand which many caddies insist on
laying down at the tee. One of the best is the paper golf tee. It is
uniform in height, light, simple, and very cheap. We have received a
sample from Mr. W. Atkinson, The Golf Store, Market Street, Lancaster.
Mr Atkinson's tee is just the thing that golfers have been in search of,
and as the cost is only 1s. pet box of 100, one can see that the extra
cost is infinitesimal, while the player has always a uniform tee to play
from. It also prevents delay at the tee. For ladies the paper tee is
The remaining two paper tees in this lot are "The Tufts Tee." The Tufts tee is marked around its perimeter "The Tufts Tee, Made
Expressely For Tufts-Lyons Arms, Co. 609-11 So. Olive St., Los Angeles."
Condition is as shown in photographs. These tees are located in the middle front area of the group image.