Stamped "McEwan" on the crown and made by the famous McEwan family of clubmakers somewhere around 1880, this club is also stamped "R. Keene," the name of its owner. The head and its finish, the 36 1/2" shaft and its whipping, are all original. Only the grip is a replacement, but it fits the period extremely well. There is a tiny chip to the top of the toe, but it is quite small and of no real consequence to the overall beauty of this club, which is exceptionally nice.
"As Hugh Philp was to St. Andrews, so was the firm of McEwan & Son to Edinburgh and Musselburgh." (Golf
25, Sept. 1895, p51). indeed, the McEwan family of clubmakers were
central to the world of clubmaking from 1770, when James McEwan opened
for business, to the end of the nineteenth century, when long nose clubs
were rendered obsolete. Across that 120 year span, five generations of
the McEwan family were producing long nose clubs of the highest quality.
TCA2 V1 p43-48