In March of 1912, Charles Seely received a
US Patent that covered the long forked hosel on this mashie. The
purpose of Seely’s iron, as compared to a typical iron during his day,
was to take weight away from the hosel and position it across the back
of the blade. Spalding produced these clubs between 1912 and 1919. All the stamps on this head are clear and strong, including "Seely Patent, Pat'd May 14, 1912." "Mashie" is stamped on the sole.
The 38" shaft is original and bears Spalding's Gold Medal shaft stamp.
The shaft and grip are original. This mashie is a wonderfully creative club and shows little wear.
TCA2 Vol. 21 p. 183