This unmarked c. 1915 aluminum driver is fitted with a large wood dowel that extends from the center of the face to the back of the head, where it is also visible. A second dowel extends into the head from the toe in order to help fasten the center dowel in place. The objective with this design was to create a driver that provided the unbreakable durability of metal with the feel of wood.
This club, beautifully made and the only one known, has its original shaft with a nice looking replacement grip that matches up well to the period of the club.
This is the very driver pictured and discussed in TCA2: V1 p347. A signed copy of the page from the book is included as part of this lot.