On page 507 in Volume 2 of The Clubmaker's Art Second Edition, this driver is shown and described in great detail. It is actually a fitting club that uses a telescoping grip. Because the grip telescopes up and down, and can be locked in place at any point between 39 3/4" and 44 3/8", the golfer could adjust the length of the shaft and try swinging the club until the most comfortable length was determined. A new driver could then be ordered to that same exact length.
The grip is actually a metal tube with a set screw. Underneath the tube, the shaft is flat on two opposing sides. One side has index marks and the other has a metal strip fastened to it. The setscrew, flat on its end, extends through the tubular grip and fastens against the metal strip. Loosening the screw allows the grip to be repositioned; tightening the screw locks the grip in place.
This grip was covered under a US patent applied for on May 29, 1930 by Fredrick Ford of Waupon, Wisconsin. Waupon and Milwaukee were the two main locations of the Shaler Company, the clubmaker that made this club.
In like new condition, this is a fabulous club! A copy of the TCA2 page signed by the author will be included with this lot.