Francis & Archibald Carrick were first listed as "edge tool
manufactures" in the Musselburgh Directory for 1848-1849. Sometime in
the late 1850s or 1860s, following the deaths of Francis and Archibald,
Alex and Archibald Jr. took over the business and continued to operate
as F&A Carrick. For the Carricks, forging irons was more a sideline
to their primary business of making tools. The were one of the first
cleekmakers to mark their irons.
This particular lofter dates to the 1850s. It is marked with the smaller "Carrick"
straight line stamp and "X" cleekmark. There is a rusted area on the back of the blade behind the heel. The head, made from wrought iron with a strong grain, is large, and its 5 1/4" long
hosel is particularly long for a Carrick lofter (track irons typically had slightly longer hosels than the cleeks and lofters made at the same time). There is old whipping, likely a repair, on the base of the 38
3/8" shaft. Both the shaft and sheepskin grip are original to this club.
This is one of the oldest Carrick lofters to survive to
today. A great example of their early work, even with the rust area on
the back of the head. The ball in one of the images is not part of this lot. It has been included for perspective.
This is back row second from the left in the accompanying group image.