This circa 1875 track iron is marked with the "F&A Carrick, Musselburgh" stamp and "X" cleekmark. The hosel measures 5 1/4" in length. The 38"
shaft appears to be an old replacement with a sueded leather grip that matches
up well to the club. This hefty track iron was made by one of the earliest makers of iron clubs to mark their work.
Francis & Archibald Carrick were first listed as "edge tool
manufactures" in the Musselburgh Directory for 1848-1849. Sometime in
the late 1850s or 1860s, following the deaths of Francis and Archibald,
Alex and Archibald Jr. took over the business and continued to operate
as F&A Carrick. For the Carricks, forging irons was more a sideline
to their primary business of making tools.
For more information on Carrick clubs, see TCA2 v1 p125, 135-136, 139.
This club is shown on the left of the middle row in the accompanying group image.