This c. 1875 McEwan putter has its 37 1/2" original shaft with oversize original sheepskin grip w/ original whipping. Neck whipping is 80% original with 20% matching replacement whipping, which is located below all the original whipping. Owner's name "F.O. Crawford is stamped on the shaft below the grip, as is the number "43". A prior collection label is also on this shaft. This is a very nice club.
"As Hugh Philp was to St. Andrews, so was the firm of McEwan & Son to Edinburgh and Musselburgh." (Golf 25, Sept. 1895, p51). Indeed, the McEwan family of clubmakers were central to the world of clubmaking from 1770, when James McEwan opened for business, to the end of the nineteenth century, when long nose clubs were rendered obsolete. Across that 120 year span, five generations of the McEwan family were producing long nose clubs of the highest quality. TCA2 V1 p43-48
This club is second from the left in the accompanying group image.