Working in Aberdeen, on the east coast of Scotland, Ludovic Sandison made both golf clubs and fishing rods.
The head on this putter appears to be made from fruitwood and has a knot in the center of the sole. Such knots are features often found in older clubs, before knots came to be viewed as an unacceptable blemish in a new club.
The top of the head is stamped "L. Sandison, Aberdeen." The head has a 1" face depth, 5 1/2" length, and 2 1/16th width. The 38" shaft, sheepskin grip, lead, neck and grip whipping are all original, as is the finish.
When compared to a typical putter, the lie of this club is flatter than normal and the shaft is thicker and a bit longer than normal. Hence, this club could have been used as an early driving putter for driving against a stiff wind or on long putts.
This is a fabulous club by a maker whose work is scarcely seen and eminently collectible. Sandison was one of four long nose clubmaker who sometimes included their location when stamping their work. Neilson from the late 1700s and Cossar from late 1700s-early 1800s sometimes included "Leith." John Patrick, who like Sandison started making clubs in 1847, stamped "Leven" on some of his clubs.
TCA2 v1 p78 for more on Sandison.
This club is second from the right in the accompanying image of 5 clubs, and to the far right in the image of 4 clubs.