Founded in 1810, F.H Ayres was a large sporting goods dealer in London. During the 1880s, they began to offer golf clubs marked with their name. These were made by other clubmakers, but Ayres liked offering a "house brand." This is one of those clubs and is stamped "F.H Ayres" on its crown.
The head measures 5 1/2" long, 1 1/8" in face depth, and 1 3/4" in width. The original shaft measures 44 1/4" in length and has a modern replacement sueded grip that matches the period. Minor crack/damage in the horn as shown in the images—not really noticeable unless one looks for it.The club is solid and much of its original finish remains on the head.