Robert Forgan became a giant among clubmakers during the second half
of the 18th century. He learned his craft while working as an apprentice
to Hugh Philp. In 1856, upon Philp's death, Forgan took over Philp's
clubmaking business and prospered into the 20th century.
When this late 1880s play club was made, Robert Forgan was
the clubmaker to His Royal
Highness The Prince of Wales, hence the POW plume stamp directly underneath
the "R. Forgan" stamp on the top of the head.
The head measures 5" long, 1 3/4" wide, and 1 1/8" in face
depth. The blonde finish remains in its original condition with some darkening at the face. What appear to be small hairline cracks in the face is actually slightly separated wood grain. The 43 1/4" shaft still has its original grip, which shows significant wear to the outer leather, a good portion of which is missing.
The shaft is stamped "R. Forgan & Son, St. Andrews" up near the
grip. The neck whipping has been redone in period fashion.
For more on Robert Forgan
and his prominent role in the history of golf, see TCA2 v1 p70-74
This club is on the far right in the group shot in the accompanying images.