Willie Dunn was one of the most influential golfer personalities in
America during the early 20th century. He was prominent as a player,
businessman, club designer, course architect, and golf instructor among
other things. A good portion of his career is covered in TCA2 v1
In 1896, Dunn established his club and ball making operation as well
as a "golf gymnasium" in New York City. Inside a room in what is now
the old Madison Square Garden in New York City he gave golf lessons.
1898, Dunn, after laying out a golf course in Dayton, Ohio, was hired to
a supervisory position by a young clubmaking company—The Dayton Last
Works. The Dayton Last Works had changed its name to Crawford, McGregor
& Canby by 1900, when he was released from the company.
This driver, stamped "Willie Dunn" on head was likely made during this time. The original 44 1/2" shaft is stamped
"Made By The Crawford, McGregor, & Canby Co." and still has its
original leather grip. This club is a great example of a c.1900
driver, especially since it is stamped with two of the most important
names in early American clubmaking.