Willie Dunn was one of the most influential golfer personalities in
America during the early 20th century. He was prominent as a player,
businessman, club designer, course architect, and golf instructor among
other things. A good portion of his career is covered in TCA2 v1
In 1896, Dunn established his club and ball making operation as well
as a "golf gymnasium" in New York City. Inside a room in what is now
the old Madison Square Garden in New York City he gave golf lessons.
1898, Dunn, after laying out a golf course in Dayton, Ohio, was hired to
a supervisory position by a young clubmaking company—The Dayton Last
Works. The Dayton Last Works had changed its name to Crawford, McGregor
& Canby by 1900, when he was released from the company.
This driver, stamped "Willie Dunn, New York" on head was likely made during this time. The original 44" shaft is stamped
"Made By The Crawford, McGregor, & Canby Co." and still has its
original sheepskin grip. There is a small depression low on the toe of the face. This club is a great example of a c.1900
splice-neck driver, especially since it is stamped with two of the most important
names in early American clubmaking.