During the wood-shaft era, the shafts in many putters were made with a
bend that curved back towards the golfer. Such curved shafts were often
referred to as having a "St. Andrews bend."
It was Archie Compston who took to manufacturing an angled shaft in
an effort to recreate the effect provided by a shaft with a St. Andrews
bend. Compston's 100% putter, covered under a 1926 British registered design, has a built-in "bend" halfway up the 33" shaft. This example is all
original and all the stamps are visible.