Both head and shaft are stamped “The Spalding.” The head is also stamped “Hand Forged” in small letters. Made at some point between 1897-1900, this is the earliest documented Spalding rut niblick per Jim Cooper’s Book, “A.G. Spalding & Bros Pre- 1930 Clubs, Trademarks, Sub-makers and Etc.”.
The head is thick and exceedingly heavy for that period of time. The shaft is cracked near the head, but has apparently been repaired. What is for sure is that when torquing the head and the shaft to see if the crack will open, it does not. A great piece of early American golf!