Patented by Lewis Anderson in the UK in 1914 and Produced by Spalding in the US, the cork center in this putter extends all the way through the head, from the face to the back. Anderson's reasons for using cork were to provide the golfer with greater directional control and a soft but resilient face when contacting the ball. Cork is soft, alright, and will cushion the blow, but its not the most durable. When these putters are found, they have either lost all the cork or a good portion of it. This example, however, has all of its cork. No significant chips. The cork face and the back of the head are smooth just as designed. The leather wrap grip and shaft, stamped "AG Spalding & Bros Gold Medal," are original. The top of the head is stamped "Spalding Golf Medal" in an oval.
Cork center putters were offered by Spalding from approximately 1915-1920, but were not popular.
TCA2 V2 p395