In 1915, Albert McDougal applied for a US patent to covered this putter in part. According to his patent, issued in 1919, McDougal's club was designed to help the golfer line up to the hole by including a "true line parallel to the face of the club head intersecting a line parallel to the hole." These lines are formed from hard rubber strips that are inset into the top of the head.
By 1926, McDougal had brought out his New Improved McDougal Putter with an adjustable weight feature, which this club is. The two cavities on the top of the head hold lead weights that fit around a post located in the center of each cavity. To keep the weights from moving, a spring is placed between the weights and the black, hard rubber pieces that screw into the top of each post and cover the cavities. All of these components are shown in one of the images that accompany this lot.
There are two original weights, one in each cavity. Additional weights would be easy to make, if desired, simply by cutting new weights to size from appropriately thick sheet lead. The shaft and leather-wrap grip are original. Overall, this is a wonderful, ingenious club, with heel and toe weighting well ahead of its time.
TCA2 V2 p484