Reminiscent of a Gassiat “grand piano” putter, with its large, rectanbular wood head, this massive John Letters putter is even larger! Unlike the Gassiat, this putter does not have a squared off toe and does not round down across the back of the head. It measures 1 1/8” in face depth, 3” in width, and 4 ¼” in length.
With four large lead buttons inlaid in the back of the head, this putter is completely original. The original shaft is round when it leaves the head and quickly transitions to square up its entire length including the grip. The original grip is perforated black leather.
John Letters was founded as Letters Logan & Company in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1918. Five years later, in 1923, the company changed its name to John Letters. Stamped John Letters on its crown , this very club was sold at a UK auction in 1993. At the time it was the only such club that the auctioneer had ever seen. Nearly twenty years later and it still remains the only such club. It does not show any wear to speak of, there is no damage of any kind, and the finish remains strong and beautiful. This club really strikes a pose and would be a “stand out” item in any collection.