"As Hugh Philp was to St. Andrews, so was the firm of McEwan & Son to Edinburgh and Musselburgh." (Golf 25, Sept. 1895, p51). indeed, the McEwan family of clubmakers were central to the world of clubmaking from 1770, when James McEwan opened for business, to the end of the nineteenth century, when long nose clubs were rendered obsolete. Across that 120 year span, five generations of the McEwan family were producing long nose clubs of the highest quality. TCA2 V1 p43-48
This is wonderful c. 1865 McEwan play club. Everything about the head, from the finish to the horn to the lead is original—and in outstanding condition. The head measures 5 ½” in length, 1 1/8” in face depth, and 1 15/16” in width. The face scoring is stronger than most and shows little to no wear. Best of all, this head has a beautiful shape. It's lines are stylish and pleasing to the eye.
The shaft, sheepskin grip, and neck whipping also appear to be original. The tip of the shaft does not rest flush on the neck, but the neck joint is solid. There is no movement when holding the shaft and lightly torquing the head. The shaft is clearly on the thinner side similar to those made towards the end of the feather-ball era.
This splendid McEwan play club was not used much and would be a discerning addition to any collection.