During the wood-shaft era, the shafts in many putters were made with a bend that curved back towards the golfer. Such curved shafts was often referred to as having a "St. Andrews bend."
It was Archie Compston who took to manufacturing an angled shaft in an effort to recreate the effect provided by a shaft with a St. Andrews bend. Compston's 100% putter, covered under a 1926 British Registered Design, has a built-in "bend" halfway up the shaft. This example is all original, and the stamps on the back of the head are strong.