William Mills was the most prolifice designer and manufacturer of early aluminum head golf clubs. He created The Standard Golf Company, a division of The Atlas Works, to produce his clubs which are commonly referred to today as "Mills" clubs.
This one, stamped "The Mills MSD 2 1/2 Model" along with "BGI Co," was produced between 1903 and 1906, when the Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. of Bridgeport, CT, stopped selling golf clubs. In the BGI catalog for 1903, Mills MSD clubs were offered as "substitute for iron clubs," and this MSD 2 1/2 would take the place of a lofter. The 37 1/2" shaft and sheepskin grip are original.
When they are found today, Mills aluminum clubheads are usually quite worn as the aluminum alloy used to make Mills clubheads was relatively soft. This example, however, is far better than most. The excellent condition of this head and the well-lofted face give this club a great look!