When this c. 1880s play club was made, Robert Forgan was
the clubmaker to His Royal
Highness The Prince of Wales, hence the POW plume stamp directly underneath
the "R. Forgan" stamp on the top of the head.
The head measures 5 3/8" long, 1 3/4" wide, and 1 1/16" in face depth. The
original finish, which has picked up a coat of varnish along the way, remains in nice condition and the face is clean. The 44 1/2" shaft appears to be original. The club has
been regripped with a new sueded leather grip that matches up well with
the age of this club.
Robert Forgan became a giant among clubmakers during the second half
of the 18th century. He learned his craft while working as an apprentice
to Hugh Philp. In 1856, upon Philp's death, Forgan took over Philp's
clubmaking business and prospered well into the 20th century.
For more on Forgan
and his prominent role in the history of clubmaking, see TCA2 v1 p70-74.
This club is on the far right in the group shot.