In the early 1900s, R.B. Wilson, a clubmaker in St. Andrews, designed this spring face iron for use with the Haskell or other rubber-core balls. Hence its Haskell name.
According to a review publised in 1903, in the face of the iron is a groove about an eighth of an inch deep, over or across this groove is a thin wrought-iron plate, securely riveted at each end. The vacant space between is compactly filled with leather specifically compressed. This gives great elasticity to the club, as it were, to which the rubber-cored ball responds in a marked manner.
The only other example of Wilson's iron marked "The Haskell" that the auctioneer has seen is in the USGA's collection in Far Hills, New Jersey. The only other example of Wilson's iron known to the auctioneer was once his and is shown in TCA2: V2, p418.
The shaft and leather-wrap grip are original.