Covered under a US Patent issued on July 10, 1928, this Harness putter with its solid steel shaft and long wooden grip was the brainchild of William Harness. The back of the gunmetal head is marked "The Harness Putter" and also "The Alverson Sales Co. Bloomington, Ill."
This wood handle, bored out to fit over the thin steel shaft, is riveted in place.
According to an Alverson advertisement, the wood handle is made from walnut and "the back is rounded and the face [front] flat, conforming to the hands in a natural uncramped position."
This example is in wonderful original condition. The wood is solid, with no cracks, and still has its original whipping on its base. For more info on this putter, see TCA2 V2 p661