This stately all-original late 1850s Carrick track iron was made by one of the
earliest makers of iron clubs to mark their work. The back of this head is stamped with an early "Carrick" name stamp and includes Carrick's "X" marked on top of the "K" in Carrick. The hosel measures 5 1/2" in length and 53/64" in thickness at its widest point. This club measures 37 3/4" long and still has its original shaft and a fabulous, large oversize sheepskin grip.
Francis & Archibald Carrick were first listed as "edge tool
manufacturers" in the Musselburgh Directory for 1848-1849. Sometime in
the late 1850s or 1860s, following the deaths of Francis and Archibald,
Alex and Archibald Jr. took over the business and continued to operate
as F&A Carrick. For the Carricks, forging irons was more a sideline
to their primary business of making tools.
A VERY nice club.
For more information on Carrick clubs, see TCA2 v1 p125, 135-136, 139.