"As Hugh Philp was to St. Andrews, so was the firm of McEwan & Son to Edinburgh and Musselburgh." (Golf
25, Sept. 1895, p51). indeed, the McEwan family of clubmakers were
central to the world of clubmaking from 1770, when James McEwan opened
for business, to the end of the nineteenth century, when long nose clubs
were rendered obsolete. Across that 120 year span, five generations of
the McEwan family were producing long nose clubs of the highest quality.
TCA2 V1 p43-48
The 35" McEwan baffing spoon offered here dates circa 1865. It
measures 1 1/8" in face depth, 5 3/4" in head length, and 2 1/8" in head
width. The face is well lofted with a pronounced curve from heel to toe. The stout shaft and neck whipping are original. The sheepskin grip is an old replacment. The head shows use but remains in solid condition. It was a sturdy club back in the day, and remains so now.
Club is second from the left in the accompanying group image.