William Breitenbaugh of Philadelphia, PA, received a US Patent (No. 1,137,457) dated April 7, 1915, that covered this "Master Golf Club." Marked "The Master Club, Pat'd April 27, 1915" in the center of one side of the head, this club allowed the golfer to adjust it—both right- and left-handed—to any of six different lofts. Furthermore, this club provided two different head shapes—one with a straight leading edge even with the bottom of the hosel and the other with a much more rounded and distinctly lower leading edge. To further clarify, both head shapes could be used both right- and left-handed and could adjust to any of the six lofts. This was a "Master Club!"
To adjust the club, the golfer simply needed to rotate the serrated nut (positioned between the fork in the hosel) that was threaded onto a stem extending out from the heel end of the blade. Turning the nut in one direction loosens the blade, turning in the opposite direction tightens the blade. Mechanical clubs like this one add a great deal of ingenuity and engineering into the golf club manufacturing equation.
This club does not bear Breitenbaugh's name like most of the other known examples. Consequently given the lesser amount of advertising and name recognintion, the auctioneer believes this Master Club is an earlier example. The shaft and grip appear original. This ingenious club is in outstanding working condition.